Tuesday 15 January 2019

Gifted Gorgeousness SAL January 2019 update

Hello Friends,
Welcome to the first check-in of my favorite SAL, Gifted Gorgeousness hosted by Jo of .
I just realized I have been participating in this SAL since it started, well almost, one month after it was started 😁.

I’m at my parents house now and it is coldddd.. not the cold winter where it snows but  where one has to wear two layer of warm garments inside the house.Houses in India are still not equipped with heating , we use traditional methods of putting on layers, thick blankets and closing windows to avoid the chill.
Most parts of India celebrated the harvest festival with different names Lohri, Makar Sakranti or Pongal yesterday or today.
Its time to get together and celebrate the harvest and eat traditional winter foods.
I was fortunate enough to celebrate Lohri with my family (parents, brother, sister in law and nephew) this year . Lohri is the name of the harvest festival in states of Punjab , Haryana and Delhi.
A bonfire is lit outdoors with wood and cowdung cakes, prayers are offered and lots of dancing to folk songs is involved.Lohri is celebrated with offering popcorns, raw flattened rice(poha), peanuts 🥜, rebdi (sweet made of jaggery and sesame) to the fire.


I know you must be thinking that why I’m telling you all this in a GG post, well I think it is one of life’s biggest gift to be together with family on festivals and special occasions. I’m sure many of you agree.

I was able to gift my mom the birthday gift I made for her 60th birthday in September. Though she still thinks she has completed 58 😂.



This is how it looks framed. I bought a photo frame from a sale and just fitted the fabric in the frame with no glue .
I have a small gift planned , all kitted up , just need to be started.

That’s it for GG post, I will try to visit blogs and comment while on vacation .
If you see this post, that means I’m able to write a blog post and successfully post it first time from my mobile .

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing information on the festival. How neat. Yes celebrating with family is a definite gift. Beautiful gift for your mother. Looks great in the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time with family is indeed a gift. Your Mum's birthday gift is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely GG post for January and yes you are right, time spent with family is a great gift.
    Your special gift is so beautifully framed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mini
    Festivals r really a gift so that all our dear ones can be together. Your gift for mom is beautiful. Neatly framed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah, I am currently wearing three layers of clothing! We do keep our house cool at 67° (19°C) so it's not bad when bustling around... but it's cold to be sitting around on weekends. :)

    Love the harvest festival and spending time with family is a wonderful gift, especially when you don't get to see them nearly enough. The framing for your flowers turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so true--the gift of family is indeed the very best gift of all :) We are very cold here, too--snow and ice and blowing winds... What a special gift for your mom--she is just four years younger than me--still young :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful gift for your mum and I completely agree, spending time with your loved ones is a gift of its own :) I also enjoy reading about your traditions and festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the harvest festival you celebrated with your family, so interesting and it looks like a fun time.
    Your gift to your Mom is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so beautiful! Congrats for finishing and for your mum's celebration. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find your posts really interesting Mini, it’s nice to know your customs!
    A lovely post! Well done making it from your mobile! I wasn’t able to make posts from my iPad because it won’t upload photos for me!
    Tee hee, not that I’m competing, Rosie, but we have our heat on 17-18°C and always wear warm layers and jumpers, it’s how things were when we were younger, before central heating, and what is wrong with layers anyway?
    Lovely to see your gift completed for your mum, Mini! Nice frame!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job posting from your phone. The stitching for your mom turned out really nice. Looks like you had it professionally framed. Glad to hear you are enjoying festivals and family time. I read today is Republic Day so I'm sure there's even more celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. You have always been a loyal poster!
    It's so interesting to hear about your customs and how your family celebrate together. You are so right, family and friends are our greatest gifts. Especially when they share our love of crafting!
    The picture you made your Mum looks lovely in the frame.
    I assume you couldn't link up this month from the phone, don't worry, I'll add the link myself now so you don't miss a month.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, it's me!!

Hello Blog world, Its been two years since I posted on this blog, not sure if anyone follows me now.  Its a new year, best time to start /re...