Friday 19 June 2020

Gifted Gorgeousness SAL June 2020 update

Hello Friends,
It's that time of the month when we show what gifts we have been working on or/and what crafty gifts we have received. If you don't know what I'm talking about , check Jo's blog for more info. This is an easy SAL where you have a choice to stitch any designer, color or pattern, just that it should be a gift for someone or gift from someone.
For the month of May, I made good progress on my oldest WIP and decided to start a new project on the first day of the month.Here it is ,after 5 days of progress.

Can you guess what it is?
Saturday, 13th June was World Wide Knitting in Public day. If you have been following me for few years, you will know how this day is special to me.Since 2015, when I first found about this event, I have been either organising or participating in the event for the craft group I am part of. This year there was no way knitters were going to meet in public, so the craft group I'm part of decided to meet online. Another online meet up was organised by a Indian yarn manufacturing company. I participated in both and had fun.
I decided to stitch the following pattern to mark the day. I'm not much of knitter so this will be sent to one of my knitter friends when the postal service resumes.
Pattern by Daily Cross Stitch
I have used threads given by my pen pal and my mom, the backing paper is from my pen pal ,so this qualifies for the SAL. Originally my idea was to finish it as an ornament, however I changed my mind last minute and thought of trying something new.
My English speaking friends, what is the proper word for this type of finish?
That's it for the gifts I made.
Now some chit chat..for the first two weeks of the month I was feeling lonely and anxious. There is no improvement in the pandemic situation here and the number of cases are increasing exponentially. The lockdown was relaxed on 8th and it looks like it was a grave mistake to do so. We (Husband and I) haven't stepped out of the house in months and that's the only way I see to keep us safe.
What makes me anxious is not knowing when things will improve? When will I be able to travel? When will I be able to see my parents?
There is a shortage of supplies here and that causes some irritation. I'm not able to pursue my hobby of snail mailing - I miss writing and receiving letters.
The pandemic has given birth to hundreds of apps to connect with people, but somehow I'm starting to feel friendships made over social media are not real. I have this feeling that one day if I stop blogging or posting on Facebook or Instagram , no one will notice. Most of the people care only about likes and followers.
I have been blogging for 5 years now, and during this time few people I thought I made connection with stopped blogging. I miss them and wonder do they miss me/us? It feels that the person doesn't care about the time and efforts put by the other person in the relationship. While I respect the reasons due to which an individual stops using any social media, these experiences have made me hesistant to start a new relationship.
What are your views ? Do you get attached to people over social media? Is it just about comments and likes for you?May be you are a lucky person who made genuine friends thru social media .

Anyways,I'm feeling better now and want to focus on the positives .
I hope I haven't bored with you my rant.
Take care and stay safe.

9 comments:

  1. I keep saying I'll be better about blogging but can't seem to get on track. July will mark 11 years for me. I have made many friends through my blog, some I've met in person, some I haven't. Whenever I do post, it's the same people who comment and I'm fine with that. Haven't been posting to IG much either as there just seems to be too much going on in the world that needs to be set right and I don't even know where to begin. Everything just feels off kilter. Your knitting stitch is really pretty. Is it in a frame? I like the bit added at the bottom. Sunday we will start another phase of reopening but I saw a video posted by 360 Mall of how they are sanitizing the place and it looked pretty darn scary to me. Either we breathe in the coronavirus or chemicals. I think I'd rather stay home. :/ Take care, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mini: Hi, nice post.
    I am looing forward to seeing the design you are working on.
    I am not a knitter but hope to learn soon.
    I am like you i wonder what happened to fellow bloggers, so many have gone to facebook and twitter, not me I am a very stable person and do not like much change.
    I am so sad that here in minnesota over 80% of the people dying from the virus are in nursing facility's which bothers me, the other 20% or so have underlying health conditions, I am very afraid maybe this xould be a form of euthanasia, very scary.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. I like your Knitting finish but I don't think there is a specific name for it. I would say "I mounted it on some card"!
    It's interesting what you say about people disappearing from blogs. I have a number of friends who have done exactly that and I do wonder where they went. Some have connected via FB. I do tend to think "OK, you don't blog any more. I appreciate it takes time. But you could still visit my blog!" LOL

    And in answer to Diamond C - her President and our Prime Minister are absolutely using this as a form of euthanasia. Her's is malelovent and our's is incompetent. I don't know who is the worse person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mini, Gosh, where to start!?!
    I’m wondering what your new start is. I haven’t been buying CrossStitcher lately, as nothing there has really grabbed me, so whatever you are stitching will be a surprise.
    Not sure what word description you are looking for, I thought “embellished”, but maybe you aren’t thinking that direction.
    Nice there was something for you to participate in for WWKiP Day! That’s a great pattern you stitched to commemorate the day, nice backing paper.
    It is awful when one loses touch with people we’ve met blogging, I’ve emailed two or three people to find out if they are OK but it is hard to keep in touch with everyone, and as you say, you do end up wondering what has happened to them.
    Now to try to finish my next post for GG!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knitting piece is lovely, Mini. Personal gifts like that are so special. I can't guess your new project, but it does look intriguing, and I am keen to see it finished. It is a sad old world we are in now, and I think it may never go back to the way it was. We are lucky here (Australia) at present with COVID, but eventually our borders will have to open, and I expect there will be more infections. Time will tell. In the meantime, I enjoy my contact with other cross stitchers on line, and really enjoy watching the progress of their projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lovely finish Mini, i don't know of a name for the type of finish. Nice new start.
    I only blog, i like to connect better with people and learn more about them. I agree with some of the things you have said and faebook is just one click and you move on, i prefer the personal note and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice new start! I have no idea what it will be but I can't wait to find out :) And I love the little bits of yarn you added to your knitter finish! It is lovely :)
    I have been feeling drawn to starting up my blog again but until I get a new computer it probably won't happen. I wish blogger had a good app that easily let me blog from my phone. I definitely feel that I have made some real friendships with you and a few other bloggers which was a nice bonus as I only started my blog as a place to keep track of my stitching, if other people read it that was great but not necessary.
    Stay safe! My thoughts are with you and your country that the covid numbers get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That knitting piece is so nice. It sounds like you found a good alternative to your knitting meet up. I enjoy blogging and talking to people through my blog. I actually 'met' some people through a zoom meeting a couple of weeks ago, and it was so nice to put faces to names. I feel I have a few blogging friends, and would notice/wonder if they went. Hope you keep safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stitching this month! No idea what the new start is going to be, though.
    Damn, somehow I always miss Knit in Public day - I think about it earlier in the year and than forget until it's over!
    I've been making most of my friends online for most of my life now and I've formed some really long-lasting, meaningful friendships that way. People that I've never seen in real life, and others that I meet once a year or so, and everything in between. But of course there are also the people that you don't get so close too, and sometimes you feel like you made a connection until suddenly they disappear on you, and that's sad :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi, it's me!!

Hello Blog world, Its been two years since I posted on this blog, not sure if anyone follows me now.  Its a new year, best time to start /re...